AAHS Main Site  | Past & Future Meetings  
American Association for Hand Surgery
Meeting Home
Sunglasses
Concert
Poolside
Turtle

Back to 2017 Annual Meeting Program


Infection Rates of Buried vs. Exposed Kirschner Wires in Phalangeal, Metacarpal, and Distal Radius Fractures
TJ Ridley, MD1; Christina Ward, MD2, Will Freking, BS1; Lauren Erickson, MS3
1University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN; 2Regions Hospital, St Paul, MN; 3HealthPartners Institute, Bloomington, MN

Introduction: Kirschner wires (K-wires) are commonly used by hand surgeons for temporary fixation of unstable fractures. To decrease risk of infection, some surgeons bury K-wires subcutaneously rather than leaving them exposed through the skin. However, studies comparing these two techniques have shown conflicting results. Our goal was to determine if there is a difference in infection rates between exposed and buried K-wires when used to treat phalanx, metacarpal, and distal radius fractures.

Methods: We conducted a retrospective review identifying all patients over 16 years of age at our institution who underwent fixation of phalanx, metacarpal or distal radius fractures with K-wires between 2007 and 2015. We recorded patient demographic data as well as location of fracture, number of K-wires used, whether K-wires were buried or left exposed, and duration of K-wire placement. Infectious complications were separated into five groups based on treatment: 1) oral antibiotics, 2) oral antibiotics + early pin removal, 3) IV antibiotics without early pin removal, 4) IV antibiotics with early pin removal and 5) IV antibiotics + surgical debridement. Data was analyzed using equal variance t-test, chi-square test, Fisher's exact test, or unequal variance t-test, as appropriate.

Results: Six hundred and ninety five patients met the inclusion criteria. Surgeons buried K-wires in 207 (29.78%) patients, and left K-wires exposed in the remaining 488 (70.22%) patients. Infections occurred in 80 exposed K wire cases (16.4%) and 19 buried K wire cases (9.2%) resulting in a statistically significant relative risk of infection for patients with exposed K-wires of 1.79 (95% CI: 1.11-2.87; p=0.01). Subgroup analysis based on fracture location revealed a statistically significant increased risk of infection for exposed pins when used in metacarpal fractures (RR= 2.25; 95% CI: 1.13-4.49; p=0.02).

Conclusion: Patients with exposed K-wires for fixation of phalanx, metacarpal, or distal radius fractures were more likely to be treated for a pin site infection than those with K-wires buried beneath the skin. Metacarpal fractures treated with exposed K-wires were 2.25 times as likely to get a post-operative infection. To decrease infection rates when pinning hand and wrist fractures, particularly metacarpal fractures, surgeons should consider burying K-wires beneath the skin subcutaneously.




Back to 2017 Annual Meeting Program